PLEASE KEEP YOUR STUDENT AT HOME IF THEY HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS WHICH MAY BE COVID 19 RELATED:
People with COVID-19 have a wide range of reported symptoms from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus that causes COVID-19.
Symptoms can include
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible COVID-19 symptoms. Children and adolescents with the virus that causes COVID-19 may experience any, all, or none of these symptoms.
Check your child and yourself for these symptoms before going to school or work. Check symptoms for changes from usual or baseline health.
If your child DOES have any of the symptoms above:
- Keep them home from school
- Get your child tested for COVID-19.
- Contact your child’s school and report that your child is sick. The school may ask some additional questions to help determine when it is safe for your child to return to school and about other people who may have been exposed.
- CDC has a Coronavirus Self Checker* available on its website, which may help you make decisions about seeking medical care for COVID-19
- If your student has received the COVID-19 vaccine, please send your proof of vaccination to your school nurse to update your immunization records
If your child is experiencing one or more of the above symptoms, which may be consistent with COVID 19, please consult your medical provider for further evaluation and possible COVID 19 testing. Contact your school health office for further guidance and questions.
PLEASE ALSO REFER TO LOS ANGELES DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH DECISION PATHWAYS FOR GUIDANCE ON YOUR STUDENT'S ABILITY TO RETURN TO SCHOOL.
For more information visit the BUSD website
Los Angeles Department of Public Health Decision Pathways
Health and Safety Reopening FAQs for Parents and Students
Special Education Face Mask Guidelines for Students
BUSD Policy on Masks Guidelines for Students
Exposure Management Plan K-12
Re-opening K12 Schools T1
Nursing COVID-19 Presentation