The District has agreed to fund district wide access to the EBSCO Database this year. The package we have includes a range of resources for research, from elementary school level through high school, as well as professional educator resources. We now have access to thousands of e-books as well. The best part is that the students will be able to access this from any computer on or off campus.
From off-site computers, the link is http://search.ebscohost.com/. Or you can click on the EBSCOhost image above. Each school site has its own user ID and password information. For login information, please contact Ms. Boote by email.
Please encourage your student to explore this rich resource. Since this is the research database used in most colleges this is a great opportunity for our students to get comfortable with this interface.
Some features that will be useful to our high school students are:
- Explora Secondary Schools: A user-friendly format to explore current events, social, political and economic issues, scientific discoveries and other popular topics from a diverse range of content sources. Quickly delivers relevant results including articles, essays and primary source documents to help students feel successful in their research. 60,000 top videos from Associated Press. Text-to-speech feature and the ability to translate text into many languages.
- Points of View Reference Center: Contains resources that present multiple sides of an issue. A good basis from which students can realize and develop persuasive arguments and essays, better understand controversial issues and develop analytical thinking skills. Each main essay contains an overview, point, counter-point and critical analysis guide. Includes primary source documents, reference books, video clips and magazines.
- MAS Ultra School Edition: Articles for nearly 500 popular high school magazines covering a wide range of subject areas including history, science, careers and more. Also includes more than 158,000 biographies and primary source documents as well as an image collection of more than 1.2 million photos, maps, flags, and color PDFs.
- Newspaper Source: Ideal for social studies and government classes. Provides cover-to-cover full-text for more than 40 national and international newspapers as well as full-text for more than 300 regional newspapers. Complete television and radio news transcripts are provided by CBS News, CNN, CNN International, FOX News and NPR.
- Health Source Consumer Edition - a collection of consumer health information providing access to dozens of full-text consumer health magazines, more than 100 full-text health reference books, and a variety of current health-related pamphlets.