- John Burroughs HS
- Home Page
Visit and Volunteer
The safety and security of students and staff at John Burroughs High School is of utmost importance. A critical part of creating a safe campus environment is for the administration, as well as those individuals or classrooms receiving visitors, to have advance knowledge of all visitors. School administration must know at all times who is on campus and reserve the right to refuse entry to any visitor. The following procedures for visiting John Burroughs High School will be strictly followed:
John Burroughs High School is a closed campus. All students are required to remain on school grounds during the regularly scheduled school day, including the lunch period. (Exemplary 11th/12th grade students may obtain a Lunch Pass, separate application must be approved by the Discipline office.) It is unlawful for anyone to take a student away from school during the regular school day without first obtaining proper permission from a designated school official.
VISITOR POLICY, SIGN IN, AND VERIFICATION
Administration is responsible for managing involvement of volunteers and visitors, and for ensuring that the activities of visitors and volunteers do not result in undue disruption of the instructional program. It is also important that the presence of visitors and volunteers does not contribute to safety or security issues for students and staff members or for the visitors themselves.
ALL CAMPUS VISITORS MUST:
- All visitors must sign in at the front door (main entrance on Clark Avenue) and receive a visitor’s pass from the front door.
- All visitors must present a valid form of ID, and provide all requested information (e.g., visitor’s name, date, time, name, purpose of visit, other additional information the School may require). This is for the safety of students, staff, as well as the individual in case of emergency. Failure to provide information will be grounds for denial of access.
- Visitors must specify the purpose of their visit and their destination.
- Wear a visitor’s badge at all times during your stay at the school.
- All Visitors must then proceed to the front office and check in with the receptionist.
- Request an appointment for a visitation date and time from the office staff after entering the school office. As much advance notice as possible should be given, but no visitor can be guaranteed entry to the campus on a specific date and time
- Visitors must return the visitor’s badge and sign out when they leave campus.
SOME IMPORTANT RULES FOR ALL VISITORS:
- The staff person/student you are visiting must be on campus that day and aware of the visit.
- Visitors must be escorted by designated school personnel at all times on campus.
- Do not interfere with any school activity during the visitation. Visiting the School is a privilege, not a right.
- Enter and leave the classroom/office as quietly as possible when school is in session.
- While class is in session, do not converse with students, teachers, and/or instructional aides during the visitation unless explicitly permitted.
Failure to follow any of these basic procedures may result in a visitor not receiving authorization to enter the building and/or being barred from future visits.
Procedures upon visitor check in:
- Sign in at front desk to the Raptor system or the visitor book with name and time entering campus.
- Show Identification to Campus Supervisor Assistant that is assisting you.
- A printed badge with Name, Date, Time, Photo and Destination must be worn, place badge where visible to faculty and staff.
- When leaving campus, sign out with the Campus Supervisor Assistant, with the time you are leaving campus.
- Place visitor badge sticker in the trash can.
- Please ask the visitor to state the business and direct them to the appropriate clerk/office.
After front door check-in, visitor reports to the front office to be directed to the appropriate office. If visitor is visiting coaches or teachers, please have them check into the main office to call and verify appointment.
All visitors entering classrooms during the instructional day will need prior approval from an administrator. The visitor should have been informed by administration to bring documentation (ex. Printed email) to be permitted beyond the main office. Teacher/coach must meet visitor in front office, escort to classroom and then escort back to the front office at end of visit.
Dropping off Items:
Visitors do not need to sign in / receive badge if they are dropping off items at the door. However, remind them of the following:
JBHS is not responsible for lost or stolen items left for student pick up. Money is not allowed for drop off for any reason.