Awards & Recognitions
- High-Achieving Schools - The Burbank Unified School District is one of the most high-achieving, competitive school districts in the Los Angeles area, with an Academic Performance Index (API) score contiuously well above county and state averages. The majority of Burbank's campuses are above 800, California's target for a "high performing school."
- Adult School - Various classes and learning options are offered, including distance learning, independent study and online classes, available during the day and evening at several locations.
- Alternative Education Programs - A range of alternative programs for students who are more successful in non-traditional settings, including a state-honored continuation high school, a community day school and several alternative special education programs.
- Arts for All - A K-12 comprehensive arts program that focuses on a sequential standards-based curriculum and equity of access. The Burbank Arts Education Foundation has been formed to provide ongoing financial support for visual and performing arts.
- Business Academies - Programs at Burbank and Burroughs High Schools offer integrated classroom instruction and work-based learning opportunities to prepare students for the world of business and finance.
- California Distinguished Schools - All elementary, middle and high schools have been honored with this designation.
- Career Technical Education - Classes provide technical skills and provide opportunities to explore a variety of potential careers. These classes range from Culinary Arts to Small Aircraft Engine Report and Video Production.
- Child Development Programs - Child care and programs are offered from infancy through the age of 12. Horace Mann Pre-School serves almost 200 children from infants through Pre-Kindergarten.
- Comprehensive Curriculum - A rigorous academic program K-12. Among supplemental programs in our elementary schools are gifted and talented education (GATE), special education, instrumental and vocal music groups, amd English language development. Additionally in the secondary school: Regional Occupation Program (ROP), career academies, CIF athletics, college prep advanced placement, extracurricular activities, and more.
- Elementary P.E. Program - Physical Education specialists provide a comprehensive, standards-based program for students in grades 3-5.
- Excellent teachers and support - Nearly 100% of classroom teachers are "highly qualified" based on federal "No Child Left Behind" guidelines. Many teachers and support staff are bilingual, including Spanish, Korean and Armenian.
- Modernized Facilities - Every campus is upgraded and modernized. Technology in the classroom enhances the curriculum at all grades.
- Parent Involvement - PTAs are active in every school, plus many booster clubs support particular programs. More than 1,000 parents take advantage of the many opportunities to volunteer.
- Peacebuilders - This program, integrated into all elementary classrooms, focuses on character education and conflict resolution.
- Service Learning - Community service is combined with experiential learning and reflection, resulting in civic responsibility and benefits to the community.